The Giffordtown School property now housing the Tuckerton Historical Society's Giffordtown Schoolhouse Museum was deeded to the Trustees of School District 110 by Eli Gifford in 1884. The original one-room building was later enlarged to two rooms. All students from West Tuckerton and Little Egg Harbor Township area attended through 8th grade with four grades in each room.
Pot-bellied stoves, fueled by wood and coal provided heat. A hand pump in the entryway (the Cloakroom) provided a supply of water.
The School was in operation until 1951 when the last classes attended. The building remained unoccupied at the original location on Rt. 9 between the present Municipal Building and the Hardware Store.
In June, 1977, the building was slated for demolition. Mr. & Mrs. Robert Leitz of West Tuckerton offered to donate the school to the Tuckerton Historical Society along with the tract of land at the present site. The Society accepted and in August, 1977, the building was moved to its new location. It was formally dedicated as the "Giffordtown Schoolhouse Museum" on August 7,1982. The Museum contains a large collection of artifacts relating to the Tuckerton (Clamtown) area including original documents concerning Ebenezer Tucker for whom Tuckerton was named.
Records show that Tuckerton, at Little Egg Harbor, was a major port with over one hundred ships listing Tuckerton as their home port.
A collection of Quaker memorabilia, antique furniture, originally owned by the Bartlett family, exhibits of the Tuckerton Railroad and the famous Tuckerton Wireless Tower are also featured.